Monday, December 12, 2011

The Edmonton Oilers Octane

The Edmonton Oilers Octane.


Link to video.

(I love that song.) Ladies...



I can tell you this group of girls has someone with what has to be one of the most bizarre day jobs. I'm not saying the job itself is odd, but unexpected for a dancer.

I'm going to present a few of the girls with something unique or cool in their bios. See if you can pick out which one is also a funeral director and embalmer. She sees dead people then dances at Oiler games.

Here are the candidates:

First up, Catriona. Wonderfully unique name.



This jolly elf listens to Christmas music all year long. Also, she enjoys cooking and baking. Brownie points there. Literally.

Next up: Jonessa.



She claims if she could eat a certain food every single day, it would be peach shrimp. What is peach shrimp? I don't know.

Rachael is our next Octane girl.



Sorta an Aussie. She lived in Australia for 9 months and was the Canadian Silver medalist in National Synchronized Figure Skating Championships in 2008. Well, to be fair, 9 months hardly makes her an Aussie. I just love the Australian accent so much that I guess I let my mind drift there any time I get the opportunity.

The next member of the team we'll meet is Rosie.



Possibly the smallest member of the team. I say that because she has to shop in the kids sections because she doesn't fit the ladies section. I have a friend like that. Don't try and pick her up. She's like a wet, angry cat.

Finally, Whitney.



This girl has a pet bearded dragon and is a huge camper. Now, I like camping. But I've never been camping in Canada which I have to think takes some real guts and skill to brave that constantly frozen tundra.

I'm from Atlanta, Georgia, USA, so my overall vision of Canada is probably wrong.



But Whitney is kinda proving that Canadian girls are little tough. Well, Whitney and the 2010 Women's Olympic Hockey Team.



Now I'm scared of Canadian women. Please don't come down here and hurt me!



Back to the Oiler's dance squad. The Octane obviously have quite a cross section of girls working for them.

By the way, the funeral dictor and embalmer is Rosie.



It goes to show that just because you've got a girl cheering with pom-poms, she's not an airheaded, brainless idiot. I'm not saying everyone on the Octane team would be comfortable with, well, dead bodies all day long, but they (like all cheer and ice squads) are made up of a group of diverse girls from all walks of life. And they're pretty too.

Wait. I swear I've seen this before...



Of course! Drop Dead Gorgeous. A film starring Kristie Alley, Ellen Barkin, Kirsten Dunst, and Denise Richards. I like this movie a lot. To the point of I actually own it.

It's a dark comedy about a small town beauty pagent where certain contestants will do anything to win. You can view the trailer here, or check out the opening of the movie below. If you wait until the 6:50ish mark, you'll see what I mean about having seen the Rosie bio about dancing/funeral director-ing thing before.



The only difference is that Kirsten Dunst doesn't do the embalming. Rosie does. Ponder that a minute while I ponder something else. Remember when Jonessa said she liked peach shrimp? That sounds horrible. Maybe it's not what I'm thinking. I hate shrimp. I hate peaches. Maybe it's not the two just mixed together.



Never mind. It is just the two together. Ewwww...

More moving pictures please to eliminate that nasty meal from my mind.


Link to video.

As you can see, these ladies are more of a dance crew than a ice crew. Need more proof? I thought so.


Link to video.

Most ice crews don't use carpet. But you know what? Most ice crews don't have the skills to bust a move like the Octane. So call them whatever you want (ice crew, dance squad, cheerleaders), but you have to acknowledge the talent.

And if Catriona wants a carpet, we'll make sure she gets a carpet.

Let's look at the girls in some dancing gear, but we'll start with the picture from the final auditions.



And how would they look in casual wear? (Or in a different pose in their dancer gear if they forgot their nice casual wear for the photo shoot.)



Here are the girls in cheer mode.



This team is proud to be the first NHL cheer team in Canada. They are lead by a doctor, Dr. Mailie Harris. In case you're curious, she practices chiropractic with her sister and that's Dr. Harris pictured below.



The team, being a more dance oriented squad than an ice crew, needs some moves. The Octane get their moves from Margeaux Morin, team choreographer.



I have no idea how to pronounce that name. I'm guessing "Mar-guin-ex". I don't think that's right. I hope I never meet her because I'll screw up her name or accidently call her Ms. Moron instead of Morin. Maybe I'll just screw up a little bit and call her Ms. Motrin. By the way, that's the only thing that works for me if I get a headache. Motrin.



Well, any ibuprofen.

Dare I say I'd have a much better time pronouncing Assistant Coach Amber-Leigh Polovich's name better.



She was with the cheerleaders of the Edmonton Eskimo (that's Canadian football) before joining the Octane.

Am I the only one who sees this (the picture below) when I hear eskimo cheerleaders?



I'm assuming that's not what the actual uniforms look like. So what do Canadian football cheerleaders look like in Edmonton?



Yes. I'm on board. So what if they have play the game on a longer field? More sidelines for cheerleaders. So, as a nod to Canadian football, can I have some more please?



Go Eskimos!

Wait, what was I suppose to be talking about again?


Link to video.

Oh yeah. Welcome to Oil Country!